Saturday, October 17, 2015

Evolution, Change and Resistance

I have been resisting this urge to get out of engineering for the past 5 years. Pessimism disguised as realism has kept me locked in.

But my partner and I have been noticing some subtle changes in the economy and the way businesses are being run now. I only say subtle because most people are unwilling to talk about it or accept it. But there is nothing subtle about the rate at which the progression has taken place. What am I talking about?

Decentralization.

Of absolutely everything.

The average person knows of the decentralized IT solutions provided to most offices. But that cost savings and method of work is going to bleed into other areas. What won't morph into decentralized goods and services? Local grocery stores, hospitals and health services, furniture stores and the restaurant business. Most goods are from amazon and ebay. services are mostly arranged and can be primarily provided online, books are on kindle, travel through hipmunk, you name it...

I think I've hit upon the reason why I'm so frustrated with the engineering world. It is reluctantly going towards decentralization, and my work now is a remnant of the old system that is no longer sustainable due to it's high costs and the need for the world to cut costs.

Saw an insightful video today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZRRjnqf48s

He's right. We need to learn and move on to the next thing. The more of a death grip we have on old, archaic systems, the more we will suffer in our current position.

Perhaps suffering is nature's way of initiating evolution. We suffer because we are beckoned to evolve. We suffer because we are resistant to change. We suffer because we want to hold on to what is familiar but the universe doesn't like that... the universe is constantly expanding and evolving. Limitlessly.

Can we be so selfish as to not participate in that change?

No comments:

Post a Comment